St Lucia is part of the British Commonwealth and it is an independent state with its own Prime Minister and local Government.
As a result, King Charles III is the island’s Head of State. St Lucia is known globally for its majestic mountain peaks called The Pitons which was designated a UNESCO Heritage Site in 2004.
In this article, we provide greater insight into whether St Lucia is a US Virgin Island as well as additional useful information about the island.
Is St Lucia a US Virgin Island?
St Lucia is not a US Virgin Island. The US Virgin Islands are overseas territories of the United States of America (USA) which has a landmass of 133 square miles. The four major islands are St Croix, St Thomas, St John and Water Island. Additionally, there are about 50 smaller islets and cays.
Where Is St Lucia Located?
St Lucia is an Eastern Caribbean Island located Northeast of St Vincent, Northwest of Barbados and South of Martinique. It takes approximately three hours and forty five minutes non- stop flying from Miami International Airport to Hewanorra Airport, St Lucia.
Do You Need A Passport To Visit St Lucia?
US citizens require a passport as well as proof of a return ticket to visit St Lucia.
What Is The Country Code of St Lucia?
The country code of St Lucia is 1-758.
Is St Lucia A Good Place To Vacation?
St Lucia is an excellent destination for a vacation for nature lovers. The island is well known for the pitons which are an incredible twin peaks that are designated as UNESCO World Heritage site since 2004 located in the South of the island.
The Gros Piton is 2462 feet while the Petit Piton is 2619 feet. The Gros Piton is the designated hiking trail while the Petit Piton is rarely climbed.
Furthermore, a must visit landmark in St Lucia is the Pigeon Island National Park.
This island was initially separated from the mainland St Lucia but is now joined by a causeway since 1972.
While on the island, visitors can enjoy beaches, exploring military ruins, restaurants serving mainly local cuisine and bars. There is an entrance fee for both children and adults.
Additionally, St Lucia has carved a niche in the Caribbean as a popular destination for weddings and in particular celebrity weddings. Real Housewife of Atlanta superstar Kenya Moore got married in St Lucia in 2017.
Some of the premium resorts to consider as a honeymoon spot in St Lucia include Sugar Beach Resort, Jade Mountain Resort, Marigot Bay Resort, Royalton St Lucia, Sandals Halcyon Beach and Sandals Grande.
Is St Lucia Safe?
On a whole, St Lucia is an extremely safe Caribbean island and as a result is a perfect destination choice for a solo female traveler.
Nevertheless, according to InsightCrime.org, 74 murders were recorded for the year 2021 which places the island among regional counterparts Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago which have some of the highest homicide rates in Latin America and the Caribbean in 2021.
This drastic increase in the crime rate has been linked to gang violence. Visitors to the island should exercise care and due diligence.
One should avoid secluded places and beaches even in the day. Valuables such as laptops, tablets and cellphones should not be left unattended.
Is St Lucia A British Virgin Island
St Lucia is not a British Virgin Island. The British Virgin Islands are dependencies of the United Kingdom (UK) which has a landmass of 59.3 square miles. The island group consists of 60 islands located East of Puerto Rico. The four main islands are Tortola, Anegada, Virgin Gorda and Jost Van Dyke.
Is St Lucia In Jamaica
St Lucia is not Jamaica. They are two separate Caribbean islands. Jamaica is is 4,244 square miles and is the third largest Caribbean island. It is located 600 miles South of Florida and 90 miles South of Cuba. It is home country of gold medalist Usain Bolt as well as reggae superstar Bob Marley.
Travel Tips For St Lucia
- As an island in the Caribbean, annually there is the threat of natural disasters due to hurricane activity. St Lucia is located on the Southern part of the hurricane belt and while this location significantly reduces the probability of the direct hit, due to climate change travelers should still exercise extreme caution. If you are visiting St Lucia during the period of June 1 to November 30, it may be prudent to consider travel insurance in the event of travel delays and interruptions.
- Island hopping via ferry is seamless from the island via the services of L’Express Des IIes. This ferry service connects St Lucia to the French Caribbean islands of Guadeloupe and Martinique. Furthermore, ferry services are also available to the Eastern Caribbean island of Dominica.
- The official currency of St Lucia is the Eastern Caribbean Dollar (XCD) which has been pegged to the US (United States) dollar since July 7th, 1976 at a rate of USD $1 to XCD $2.70. US dollars are widely accepted across the island as a means of payment. Change is usually given in local currency. US coins are rejected.
- While English is the official language of the island, locals speak a broken form of French creole called Patois. In fact, this is the language that most children learn as a first language prior to entering the education system.
- The Rodney Bay area is a hotspot for entertainment at nights. Restaurants, supermarkets, malls, bars and marinas are in close proximity in this region.
- If you are staying in Castries or Rodney Bay area and you are arriving at Hewanorra International Airport, be prepared for about a 90 minutes travel time from Vieux Fort.
We trust that the above information was valuable and informative especially if you are considering a visit to the beautiful Caribbean island of St Lucia.
Need More Information?
Our website contains articles about St Lucia as well as how it compares with other Caribbean destinations.
We invite you to continue reading using the search bar located above this page.
Feel free to review the following articles linked below for additional information.
What Are The Pros & Cons Of Living In St Lucia
Best Currency For St Lucia (The Ultimate Guide)
Beaches In St Lucia Near Cruise Port (The Ultimate Guide)